Old April 17th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Finegan

Default Distance wood has flown

Steve is correct. I used to own Ben's Austria S (N4622S); it is still
flying in WI. The logbooks reflect a flight from Odessa north to KS;
however the flight was just a few miles short of the world record, so he
trailered back to Odessa, and flew the (slightly) longer flight the next day
taking off about 10 miles further south, from the town of Alpine, IIRC. A
herculean effort not only of soaring, but also of crewing.

"Steve Leonard" wrote in message
Nyal Williams worte:

'Al Parker and Ben Greene set a world distance record
from either Marfa or Odessa to Kansas (I believe Salina).
If memory is correct, Ben was still flying his SH-K.'

I think Ben's flight was from Odessa to Great Bend,
Kansas. And it was in an Austria S, not the later
SHK. I don't believe Ben ever had an SHK. IIRC, it
was a 'Distance ot a Goal' record.