Old April 26th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default Anyone ever hear this from a controller

Kobra wrote:
There was no IAF on the plate, but I did
have an assigned heading of 180 from a while back. Once the second
controller cleared me for the approach (as unorthodox as his verbology was)

Completely illegal.

I probably should have just stayed on a 180 heading until I intercepted the
approach course and then began my descent for glide slope intercept. It was
the unusual way in which I was handled that threw me off.

The only time I've ever heard someone ask for "the full approach" was if it
was NOT Radar Required and there was some sort of course reversal involved
that they wanted to practice.

I just expected to hear, "Ok, Cessna 07G continue heading 180, maintain 2000
until established, cleared for the ILS 15 approach." When I didn't receive
a heading I incorrectly assumed I could fly whatever heading I needed to
intercept the approach course at or prior to the FAF.

No, that won't happen.