Old August 26th 03, 05:15 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Ed Rasimus wrote:
Solo traditions have varied over time. I've heard of the shirt-tail
clipping, but never seen it done. Clearly the tie cutting is from a
generation long gone, since you can go for a long time without seeing
a tie on a soloing student pilot these days.

If they were waiting for me to wear a tie, I'd never have soloed. As it was, I
was told I wouldn't solo until I wore a nice (read "expensive") shirt. I
managed to solo in spite of wearing a colored t-shirt that day. My shirt tail
was cut off and after a few days reappeared on the wall of the pilot's lounge.

It now sported a picture of a biplane with an upside down scuba diver sticking
out of the cockpit with the words: "I'd Rather Be Diving" on it. I've got it
around the house here somewhere. One of these years I'll get around to framing
it and hanging it in my office.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com