Old May 1st 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Go

Default Most amusing land out

I was making a 500K O&R north from Parowan, Utah with some pretty
strong SW winds. Thought I might not make it all the way back but my
wonderful crew (wife) was eager to pratice retrieves so we went for
it. On the return I got stuck on the lee of a large mountain (12,500')
and was in urgent need of a landing place. After a very short sled
ride I spotted and landed in a small alfalfa field amongst sageland
with significant numbers of cattle.

After the landing (whew!) a gentleman with three small children, about
4, 6, & 8 years old approached me over the fence. 'We were watching
you all the way down,' he said. 'You landed in the right place, the
last guy didn't and hit a steer.' The kids giggled. Within minutes
three men arrived and we walked to the glider while I directed my
wonderfully efficient crew onto the field with hand signals. Comments
were made about the owner of the field who was not present and I got a
phone number. But I have to say things weren''t very warm and cozy
yet.

When we got to the glider I got down on my knees next to the cockpit,
faced the children, and said: "Who is going to be the first one to sit
in a real glider!" Smiles all around, mysteriously a camera appeared,
and we bagan to sit them into the cockpit. I asked the kids if they
would tell their class about this in 'show and tell' in school the
next day. "No, we are home schooled." Thinking fast, and being just a
bit familliar with the Mormon religion, I quiickly added: "Well, then
I am sure you can share this with your friends at the Sunday School
and Sacrament Meeting on Sunday." To which I recieved happy smiles,
not just from the kids, but from the men standing protectively
around.

After many poses and pictures we had the glider disassembled and into
the trailer in record time. The only problem being that I didn't have
enough work to satisfy all of the men. Those left out were even a bit
grumpy at being left out.

After their promises of pictures in the local weekly we were on our
way with waves and smiles all around.

Footnote: I was finally able to contact via phone the owner of the
land a while later, he was riding in his air conditioned hay baler at
the time. After I explained how grateful I was that his field had been
there when and where I needed it and giving him my insurance company
name and number he said: "Well, I'm pretty busy right now. I'm glad my
alfalfa saved your bacon. You couldn't have hurt much so don't worry
about it. Besides everyone at the Ward thought the pictures in the
paper were really neat."

Gotta love it.