Old May 5th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default New Charity and Sightseeing Regulations

On May 5, 10:39 am, "Blueskies" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in oglegroups.com...

On May 5, 4:51 am, "Blueskies" wrote:
"Larry Dighera" wrote in messagenews:7uqm33ppqgsqn4u61hkmrfordduulfv6nk@4ax .com...

Let me see if I've got this right. It's okay to carry sick or injured
passengers without the pilot meeting the drug testing and minimum
hours requirements. But those conducting short sightseeing flights
are no longer able to get a waiver for drug testing, and must now have
500 hours instead of the former 200 hour minimum. So the public at
large is better protected, but the sick and injured are not?

NEW AOPA PUBLICATION OUTLINES RULES FOR SIGHTSEEING FLIGHTS

If you conduct sightseeing flights, whether for charity or for profit,
new FAA rules
(http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...26airtour.html)
affect you. AOPA has updated its "Charity Flying Safety Brief
(http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/SB05.pdf)," posted free online,
to reflect those changes. For example, flight schools that give
sightseeing rides under the Part 91 25-mile exception must now apply
for a "Letter of Authorization" from the FAA and show proof that they
have an FAA-approved anti-drug and alcohol program. Private pilots who
conduct sightseeing flights to raise funds for charity now must have a
minimum total flight time of 500 hours, up from 200. However, the rule
changes don't affect all forms of charitable flying. Volunteer private
pilots still may transport a sick or injured person and take a
charitable tax deduction for their expenses, says the Air Care
Alliance (http://www.aircareall.org/news.htm).
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195117

Young Eagle flights are in this category. If I remember right there is an exception for them also?- Hide quoted
text -

The additional hours may apply to YoungEagles but the drug testing
wouldn't because there is no charge made to the passenger. I've always
flown YoungEagles for BSA, which has always had higher minimum hours
than EAA.

-Robert

What about the limits in a calendar year? Only 4 events!- Hide quoted text -

I thought the 4 events only applied to situations where the pax paid
for the ride (not Young Eagles) i.e. charity lifts. I've donated rides
to the PTA, who then auctions them off. I had to use the drug test
exemption from AOPA at the time. Sounds like now I would get 4
freebies w/o having to fill out the drug test exemption.
In all of this, what really sucks *%# is the poor CFI at the FBO who
has to turn away the guy who shows up asking to take pictures of his
property. Today CFI's often get hours by taking people up for local
revenue rides (not just instruction).

-Robert