Old May 15th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default HELLO..

On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:04:47 GMT, Matt Whiting
wrote in :

What did you join?

Oh, s/he's just a clueless (as evidence by use of ALL CAPS) resident
of Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, or Ohio who believes s/he has joined a
Google group. Because GoogleGroups doesn't explain that Usenet
newsgroups are different from those newsgroups created on
GoogleGroups, it's understandable that s/he used the term 'joined'
instead of 'subscribed,' because that the term used by GoogleGroups.

I see GoogleGroups, despite their providing an archive of past Usenet
article, as making a deliberate (marketing?) effort to deceive those
who access Usenet through their Usenet gateway into believing that
GoogleGroups owns and operates Usenet. Of course that's not the case
at all (no one entity will ever own Usenet); Usenet is owned by those
myriad worldwide news administrators who devote labor and equipment
resources to relaying a news feed. GoogleGroups is but a node on the
network. And unlike this, and other Usenet newsgroups which are true
Usenet newsgroups which propagate on hundreds of thousands of nntp
servers throughout the world, GoogleGroups newsgroups only propagate
among GoogleGroups servers, a much, much smaller subset.

In any event, I welcome the new rec.aviation.piloting subscriber, and
kindly direct him/her to read the documentation here to familiarize
themselves with how Usenet operates:
http://users.rcn.com/kateshort/nnq/nnqlinks.html

Further, I recommend that the OP dump GoogleGroups in favor of an nntp
news server and newsreader client like Forté Agent:

Download Agent 4.2 · Free 30-Day Trial
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php

I further suggest, that use of the subscriber's real name will lend
credibility to his/her articles.