Old May 25th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Deadstick

Default buy or rent a 2006 182

On May 25, 11:08 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
Since it looks very much like I will be sans airplane in a week or so, I've
been kicking around options for future flying.

My general bad feeling about owning an airplane in Mobile notwithstanding,
there's still a chance I could buy another airplane if renting a 2006 Cessna
182T from the local flight school doesn't work out. So I ran a few numbers
to see how buying and renting the same model airplane would compare, based on
costs here in Mobile:

o Rent

100 hrs/yr @ $190/hr. $19,000
Renter's ins., $1M smooth $3,185 (?)

Total $22,185

o Buy slightly used '06 182T, fly 100 hrs/yr

Engine overhaul setaside @ $12.50/hr $1,300
Fuel, 13gph @ $4.85/gal $6,305
Shelter @ $180/mo. $2,160
Insurance, $1M smooth $3,185
Annual (during warranty) $750
Oil & Filters $100
Cost of money @ 6% on $310K + tax $20,460

Total $34,260

--
Dan
? at BFM

Unless you find a way to use it as a tax write-off, generally at 100hr
flight time per year its less expensive to rent than to own. Renters
insurance shouldn't cost you more than $2000.