Old June 2nd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Gasohol

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 23:01:22 -0700, "J. Severyn"
wrote:

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news snip

I tried the Alka Seltzer trick on some denatured alcohol -- no result.
It did not fizz!

You know I've been wondering: Does the Alka Seltzer trick really check to
see if alcohol is present? I'm no chemist, but I wonder if the Alka Seltzer
is just reacting with the water that most alcohols will attract from the
moisture in the air.

How about it? Any chemists in the group? If the mogas were blended with
alcohol with low water content, would the Alka Seltzer fizz at all? Maybe
the best test is still the "line on the beaker" test.

Regards,
John Severyn
KLVK (all mogas has alky in my area, making my STC no good at all)

Seltzer reacts with water.