Old June 2nd 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Andrew Robert Breen

Default Single engine CV trap

In article ,
Larry Cauble wrote:

Twin engine aircraft have been operating routinely from USN carriers for
nearly sixty years now. The earliest to routinely operate was the AJ
Savage, (which actually had three engines, of course), I guess. The F2H
was in the Fleet about that time as well - 1950ish. (I figure the F7F
doesn't count since as far as I know no squadron ever deployed on a
cruise.)

Anyway...

Has any twin-engine aircraft been authorized (per manual or NATOPS) to
land with an engine inoperative? Has any twin-engine aircraft ever
landed aboard with an engine out?

Dunno about the USN, but of RN types the Fairey Gannet could, of course.
IIRC the Short Sturgeon was the first twin designed to be able to land on
with an engine out, but of course it never went operational from 'carriers.

--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting