Old June 16th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Dan[_2_]

Default "Seeking Foreign Buyers For Osprey"

Vince wrote:
Dan wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

Vince wrote:

The handling of the V 22 would be even marginal except that it is
massively overpowered and overweight for the cargo load it can carry

they use brute horsepower to overcome the inefficiency of the tilt
rotor

it lifts about half the load a ch 53 with 12000 hp lifts

Could be worse...could be this:
http://www.vstol.org/wheel/VSTOLWheel/KamovKa-22.htm
That didn't look right, and it didn't fly right either.

Pat

Interesting layout. I assume the rotors would be used in
autorotation during horizontal flight. If this were done full time it
wouldn't be able to take off vertically, but would make one big autogyro.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

the v-22 cannot safely auto rotate

snip

Vince, once yet again you are way off mark. I was responding to
Flannery's link to a Soviet aircraft not V-22.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired