Old June 21st 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

Default Head orientation in turns--how is it taught for aviation?

On 2007-06-21 14:30:33 -0400, "birdog" said:

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:21:12 +0000, Bob Moore wrote:

Because they are not normally operating in coordinated flight.

I want to watch the in-flight video of someone doing a roll while keeping
his/her head aligned with the horizon.

Laugh

- Andrew

Military style - according to an old P-51 combat WWII pilot.

They were taught to pick a point on the horizon and fly around it as a
training exercise. He flew me through several with virtual perfection.
Say a barrel roll to the left. With speed, turn about 45 deg. to the right,
pulling the nose up some 20 deg. and start the roll to the left. Rudder and
stick control as required to hold the nose equidistant from the point all
way around. Past vertical to knife-edge and begin right rudder for
coordinated turn 45 degrees back to straight and level. The point is
straight ahead. Obviously, he stared straight ahead thruout.

This is approximate, because after about 100 tries I never came close to
getting it right.

You can do it. The initial setup for the roll is just a bit different.
You dive for airspeed and bank in an offset to the point, then you
begin the roll from that offset point with the visual point for the
roll kept equidistant all the way around.
It's a great training exercise.
Dudley Henriques