Old June 22nd 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Default Old Airframe Cleanups

Lopresti has a new nose bowl for the Bonanza. He says it's good for
about 3-4 knots. And it costs about $15K. For less money during an
engine overhaul I can put a 550 in the plane and get 10 knots.

john smith wrote:

When one looks at the small gains in airspeed from each existing speed
mod kit, you have to say that, for the most part, the original designer
got it right.

Having said that, I still would like to see the manufacturers do factory
cleanups of existing designs, still in production.

The Bonanza is a very clean design, but I can't help but wonder if there
are a few more knots to be eaked out by redesigning the nose bowl. Those
big air inlets designed in the 1940's and 1950's just don't look right.