Old June 26th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Hawkdoc

Default Clutch switch position

Instead of a covered switch, use a swich with raised side gaurds to protect
it. Can't think of any swiches used in most emergency procedures that are
covered.

James

Rule 6 - "Priorities are man made, not god made"

"Maxwell" wrote in message

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
.. .
A recent incident involving a Rotorway helicopter occurred. An accidental
bumping of the clutch switch dis-engaged the clutch. The resulting
autorotation resulted in a roll over and of course some significant
damage. As I understand it, the switch was mounted in the overhead panel
but the pilot's headset could make contact and inadvertently cause the
clutch dis-engagement. I wonder if the standard switch cover that you
have to lift to get access to the switch itself would have stopped this
occurrence?

Would a switch cover not delay ready access to the switch? Sounds like it
needs to be relocated for safety, and kept quick to select.