Old July 13th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Default Control surface design question

Chris W wrote:

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with the combination of the
horizontal stabilizer and elevator to make a stabilator. I think I have
even heard of the concept being used for a ruder. My question is has
anyone ever made a plane taking the concept all the way and made a
"wingeron"? My guess is no one has, seems to me it would be difficult
to do and maintain the required strength with out adding a lot of weight.

It's probably not practical for a real plane but I thought it might be
an interesting experiment to try on an RC plane.

Only one I ever heard of would be the Spratt "Control Wing"

Lots of links from Google...

Richard

http://www.flyingflea.org/docs/SprattControlwing.htm

http://www.georgespratt.org/docs/PaulsonArticle.htm

http://www.georgespratt.org/Articles...nianSpratt.htm

http://www.maam.org/aircraft/spratt.htm

members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/selecting/kits/Spratt%20Controlwing.html

http://wings.avkids.com/Book/Wright/...1_1902t64.html