Old July 21st 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

Default It was 38 years ago today...........

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
"TacAN" wrote:

What still fascinates me about those early years - is the electronics, ie
computers that they used.
In the 1960's saw the first discrete transistors and maybe the very early
intergrated circuits.
By todays standards (or even what was becoming available in the 1980's) the
computer power may have been fairly "primitive". Which makes their
achievements all the more spectacular.

Graham

I watched it on TV at a party set up especially for it -- in Huntsville,
AL, where I worked for Boeing, designing translunar flight trajectories.

I remember the JFK assassination, too. I was working for Douglas, in
Culver City, CA and worked with a Texan, whose thoughts were,
"Manchurian Candidate," where LBJ cradled JFK's mortally wounded head in
his lap.

Interesting imagery ... as a comparison to the actual event where Jackie
went over the back of the limo to retrieve part of JFK's skull and
famous hairdo ... apropos the unknown worker/handler who cradled RFK's
head after Sirhan-x2 did his Dallas on him in LA. And where was the
Woman in the Polka Dotted Dress, anyway?

PS:

When the Moon Landing occurred, I was in Okinawa and we watched the TV
image from the Armed Forces TV but the audio came over a local Japanese
station -- there was a delay of some 15 seconds -- the audio feed being
by shortwave and the TV by Satellite. But it WAS something to see. I
never noticed that camera slip which revealed the propped up backdrop of
the movie set at Area 51 that was later edited out of all existent rerun
tapes.

Clever those Kennedy's.

Cheers from the Grassy Knoll

Dave