Old July 26th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

Default Convert from Avgas to Jet-A Lindbergh Foundation Winner.

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:45:00 GMT, wrote:

Scott Skylane wrote:
wrote:

As it should for anyone contemplating doing it.

Wasn't it GM a couple of decades back that had the big fiasco of blown
engines when they tried to convert their existing gas engines to diesel?

Jim,

Yeah, GM's very first line of passenger car diesels were merely
converted small block Chevys. It didn't work so well. But, I would
hope that in the ensuing decades some new technologies have developed
which might make this a more feasable option.

AFAIK the only way to make a reliable diesel engine is to design it
to take the stress of a diesel from the start and gas engines aren't.

Maybe it's simply about preheating the fuel and retarding the spark.
People keep saying our engines are "just tractor engines."

Don