Old July 27th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Electric Sonex

Peter Dohm wrote:
"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message

Cool, maybe you can answer my question. If one of the Navy Nukes
were set up and run at a continuous power how much electricity
could the plant

provide.

That is like asking how much power a Boeing 777 could supply.
On a nuclear submarine the turbines that drive the generators are
small compared to the turbines that drive the prop.

Vaughn

From all I've heard, that is a passable analogy. I've also heard that
aircraft carriers are the ones that can really generate the electric
power--and even there, the electric power is probably small compared
to the porpeller drive power.

Peter

I guess I could have asked my question better. How's this?

How big of a generator (KW or MW per hour)could a nuclear reactor, such as
one used on the newest generation of carrier, power.