Old August 6th 07, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

Default Question for you contest fliers...

wrote:
How do you guys deal with turn points with different radii in a "turn
area" task? I've been playing with my 302/303 and there doesn't seem
to be a way to set a different radius for each turn point. It would be
nice to get an "arrival" message for each turn point automatically. Do
you guys have to verify cylinder entry manually in this case (for the
302/303)? Or is there another way to utilize this feature of the
flight computer in a task with mixed radii?

The 303 doesn't support turn area tasks. Not only do you have the issue
of differing cylinder radii, but you also have to determine how far to
go into the cylinder before you turn, which is difficult to do without
proper support from your flight computer or a PDA.

My suggestion is that you get an iPAQ 38xx from Ebay or Craigslist, they
typically go for around $100. You'll need a cable that will connect the
iPAQ to the 302 along with a mount, available from Craggy Aero or
Cumulus Soaring Supplies. Grab some free glide software like GPS_LOG or
XCSoar (or splurge and get WinPilot, SeeYou Mobile, etc.), and you'll be
good to go...

Marc