Old August 6th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.piloting
ATControlr

Default FAA "Centers" have primary radar?

On Aug 5, 4:43 pm, "Danny Deger" wrote:
In another thread I am in a discussion on radar capability for FAA
"Centers". My recollection is that they typically have no primary radar,
thus no capability to paint weather. Someone is telling me they do.
Anybody out there have the answer. Maybe some do and some don't, and the
ones I used in the past don't.

--
Danny Deger

NASA offered me $15,000 to take down my web site. Take a look and see why.www.dannydeger.net

FAA Centers do have the capability to paint primary targets. The
quality of radar coverage for primary targets is somewhat spotty. A
primary may or may not be painted depending on a lot of different
circumstances. Weather affects this capability too. Since we do have
primary capability, it can paint flocks of birds, weather, non-
transponder equipped planes, etc. We have recently gotten an upgrade
to our scopes that allows better weather depiction. Previously weather
depiction was very inaccurate. Our radar antennas turn at a speed
twice that or normal weather radar so our depiction used to be very
poor. I am an air traffic controller - 27+ years.