Old August 9th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Default Funny Scammer

"Tri-Pacer" wrote in message

Interestingly enough, as common as this scam is, and as easy to track,
there's but a handful of prosecutions each year in the US.

I got such a bite when I was selling a transponder. As soon as I got an
e-mail saying a mistake had been made and a check had been issued for
thousands more than the selling price I told them to bug off. They
persisted and sent a very real looking money order. My bank issues this
brand of money order, so I took the phony money order and copies of all
e-mail correspondence to my bank. The manager could not tell the money
order from real. As far as I know the bank made no follow-up with the
police.

They don't want to admit their "paper" is that vulnerable.

Banks that suffer embezzlements often try their damnest to keep it on the
QT, mostly just firing the employee (if they haven't flown the coop already)
and eating the loss.

What price their facade?