Old August 12th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

Default Reaming

Orval, I ain't a tinbender and don't pretend that I am. However, if the
(for instance) 1/4" hole is a sixty-fourth undersize, it should come out
0.234". A letter-D drill will take it out to 0.246" (admittedly with some
triangularity) which should significantly cut into the laser hardened part
of the steel, then the reamer only has to take off the last four thou.

If you want to cut yourself some more leeway, a letter-C drill will take it
out to 0.242 and then you get to ream eight thou.

And for the rest of you, PLEASE SNIP EVERYTHING in the message you are
answering except a few pertinent lines.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right."
--Henry Ford

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news

By the way, just for info, the holes I've beenreaming are 5/16 and 1/4.

Did you use cutting oil? Even plain old lubricating oil helps a lot and
keeps the tool cool.