Old August 20th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon

Default panel Mounting 496

To make a long story short, see your local avionics shop for guidance. Each
FSDO is forming their own opinion on the Air Gizmos panel mounting
requirements and these opinions should be well-known to the avionics shops
of their respective jurisdictions.

Marco

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
OK, I have a 496, and an air gizmo mount, which I'd like to put on my
panel. I'm curious to the signoffs needed:

The Air gizmo I think should be allowed to be installed by the owner/pilot
as an interior decoration as long as it doesn't involve drilling or
cutting the panel. Correct? If I have to cut the panel or drill holes,
do I need an A&P signature? The W&B change is negligible I believe.

In order to wire the power into the aircraft power (not through a cigar
lighter plug), I think I need an A&P signature, and all work has to
conform to 43.13, nothing more correct?

How about running extension wires for the XM USB and remote antenna to the
top of the glareshield with the wires behind the panel? I imagine that
needs an A&P sign-off if the wires are tie-wrapped into place?

OK, and the final question: It looks like in order to fit it in, I'll need
to pull the ancient Foster Loran and it's tray out. That's surely going
to need somebody's sign-off. Does that have to be pulled by an avionics
shop (it does have a connection to the autopilot switch), or can that be
done under an A&P's supervision and signature as well? I figure I'll
replace the Loran antenna with a comm antenna and leave the end available
on the panel for my handheld.