Old September 4th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Any Spins Lately??

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 21:28:59 GMT, "JGalban via AviationKB.com"
u32749@uwe wrote in 77bb4cf363fa1@uwe:

Larry Dighera wrote:

I agree with you about the need for spin training, but there are (at
least) a couple of issues.

1. It's not possible to cage the gyros in most training aircraft.

2. Many aircraft (PA28s come to mind) are not approved for
intentional spins.

I spin my PA28 on a fairly regular basis. Not all of them have the spin
restriction. The short bodied, hershey bar winged 140s and 180s were
approved for spins in the Utility Category. The 140s remained spinnable
throughout the production run (ended in '77) and the 180s were good until the
fuselage was stretched in the '73 models. Caveat : some early models were
delivered with a large fresh air fan in the tail. These models were not
approved for intentional spins and are placarded as such.

Thank you for that very complete information.

As for the gyros, I've heard that spinning is bad for the gyros, but it
hasn't hurt mine. So far, I've been spinning the plane for 14 yrs. and have
yet to replace a gyro. They will usually tumble during the manuever, but
they re-erect and work normally within a few minutes.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

What have you found to be the MTBF for your gyros?