Old October 3rd 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Le Chaud Lapin

Default Backwash Causes Lift?

On Oct 3, 12:05 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Le Chaud Lapin wrote roups.com:

On Oct 3, 10:34 am, wrote:
Both Newton and Bernoulli are correct. Even inside a pipe the
static pressure drops as velocity increases. That's why your bottom
table jumps as you yank off the top one: you accelerated an airflow.
And in generating lift there's a displacement of air. Can't escape
that at all.

Also, if you don't mind, I would like to understand what you mean
here.

It's not clear to me.

Couldn't be clearer and it's really all you need to know.

Go out and fly now. If you ask any more questions I'l just hand you over to
Anthony from now on.

I don't think actually flying an airplane will explain the
aerodynamics of lift any more than driving a car will help with
understanding of rack-and-pinion. Yes, there will be an an intuition
that will develop, but that's going to happen anyway, and that would
have happened even if I were a 16-year-old sitting in pilot's seat.
Doesn't mean that 16-year-old is going to understand aerodynamics.

Let's face it. A large pecentage of people walking this planet think
there is a "suction" force. I was watching the History Channel one
day, and the narrator actually used that term - a "suction" force, and
he did not mean the force that is on the other side of the barrier
where the "suction" force was being applied. I've also seen countless
erroneous explantions on the same channel about electronics which I do
know about. Typically the narrator will say voltage when he meant
current, or energy when he meant power.

I'm more of a mind-over-matter type. I'll get my license and fly
around and develop the intuition that you mention, certainly, but
that's not enough.

-Le Chaud Lapin-