Old November 8th 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
dumbstruck

Default India is in the market for New Fighters. What would you buy????

On Nov 3, 3:24 am, Tiger wrote:
Industry sources say the Russian-built MiG-35 and MiG-29 aircraft and
the Lockheed Martin F-16 and Boeing F-18 are front-runners.

Also in the race to replace India's ageing MiG-21s are Eurofighter's
Typhoon, Saab's Gripen and Dassault's Rafale and Mirage.

OK, it's a tie. Industry sources voted for the "proven" legacy
fighters from the first line, and internet voters favored the mostly
newfangled ones from second line. It's left to me to break the tie,
and I say to leapfrog a generation and go UCAV.

If "unmanned combat air vehicle" sounds too bleeding-edge, then go for
the MiG Skat which retains the option of a cockpit
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...D&channel=null

If mainstream is desired (something that should be sort of a cousin to
Saab Gripen) go for the Dassault nEUROn http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/neuron/

But best of all may be the EADS Barracuda, which apparently doesn't
work due to software problems. India's strength in that area might
bring it back to life and furthermore conquer the problem of making a
drone effective in interception as well as strike or spy mode.
http://www.air-attack.com/page/75/Barracuda.html