Old October 17th 03, 09:22 PM
phil hunt

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:35:12 +0200, lekomin inc wrote:

Użytkownik "phil hunt" napisał w wiadomości
I agree that Polish armed forces (including the air forces) are
substandard compared to the major NATO members.. Poland is on par with
Spain, I would think. It cannot be compared with DE, US, UK, FR or IT.

Hmm. I'm not sure this is true? What fighter does Poland currently
use? I'm guessing it's the MiG-29, which is better than anything the
RAF has (until Typhoon becomes operational) or the elderly
Starfighters italy uses.

Well.. the Kosovo war had proven that the type of the plane is secondary in
importance as long as it carries the AMRAAM. BVR sets the standard in todays
airtoair. MiG29 (as is su27/30/35) is as everybody knows a very capable
dogfigter but that is exactly why NATO developed BVR weapons and tactics. I
think I can prove a point that it is easier to exploit the technological
advance (avionics, radar, datalinking) in BVR then in dogfight. I may call
BVR the fight of the avionics whereas dogfight is the fight of the airframe.

That's certainly true, to some extent. I would however point out
that modern aircraft such as Typhoon as designed to be good at
dogfighting, so certainly the people who designed them thought it
was important.

Currently both the RAF's F3

Eh? What's this? Do you mean the Tornado?

as well as Luftwaffe's F-4 ICE have the AMRAAM
capability albeit I am not sure about the mid-course guidance. I am pretty
sure F3 got this sort of upgrade before Iraqi Freedom, but the Phantoms have
not. Mid-course guidance is essential in exploiting the capabilities of
AMRAAM to the full (range, precision, "kill zone"). Secondly for instance
the Phantoms have no sqawk IFF. That is they can be identified as friendlies
but they cannot identify others as friendlies. The AWACS/Ground Controler
must do that for them. I don't really need to explain how important that is
in BVR?

Indeed.

(My real email address would be if you added 275
to it and reversed the last two letters).