Old December 6th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

Default newest backup for gyro failure in IMC

In article
,
Dave J wrote:

No, this is exactly my point. What this camera is doing is (almost
certainly -- I haven't actually looked at its technical specs) NOT the
same as an AHRS despite the fact that their behavior is superficially
similar, particularly when you are not in an airplane. That is exactly
why I think it's important to warn pilots away from trying to use this
device as a backup AI. It will almost certainly kill you.

Yes, I don't think we have any idea how this camera works, but it's a
fair bet that it won't work very well in an aircraft. We'll have to
wait for a pilot to buy one and try it out.

My understanding of gyros, be they mechanical or otherwise, was that
they can indeed work simply by measuring and integrating acceleration.
However, that needs to be angular acceleration, not linear. It was
also my understanding that the solid state accelerometers in GA glass
cockpits are in reality not very good on their own. The attitude
solution displayed is actually computed from the integrated
accelerometer values corrected with magnetometer info, air data info,
and even gps data.

-- dave j

Yes, I believe that is exactly right. And it is all that complexity
that makes them expensive.

rg