Old December 18th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default Who's Boss?

wrote:

Correct. 2000 from the north, 3700 from the south to keep me from running
into an antenna. But the controllers don't seem to be nearly as concerned
about my safety if my engine quits.

Controllers separate you from aircraft, terrain, obstructions and
airspace. Your engine quitting is not a concern to ATC. If it's that
critical for you IFR flight will be problematic at best in a single
engine airplane. A typical approach will have you at about 1800 AGL at
the marker/FAF. You're not coasting in from there.

That's my point: I know where the
antennas are.

Irrelevant.

And I have the traffic on TIS or visually.

TIS is irrelevant for separation. And you don't know that the other
aircraft was the sole reason.

The only thing I'm
really worried about is gliding to the airport if my engine dies. But the
controllers seem oblivious to my real concern. And this guy was downright
determined to make me descend below my power-off glide altitude.

You're IFR so certain rules and procedures will apply. Can't abide?
Then you'll have to go VFR.