Old December 19th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Who's Boss?

True, but it cuts it pretty close. But you can't avoid class C shooting the
GPS 34 into the other runway.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

wrote in message

That's interesting. The GPS 16 approach starts off in Class E then goes
into Class C at above 1700 just past the Gugwa (or Brenz) FAF.

GUGWA looks to be about 2 miles from the Class C boundary, you don't need
to enter Class C airspace at all on that approach.

It looks like I could shoot the whole approach without talking to Jackson
approach, although it would be very close. That being said, I've always
got the feeling that I should be talking to Jackson approach going into
Hawkins which is in Class C. I guess that gives me a little bargaining
power. However, I have to deal with these controllers all the time and I
supposed it's not wise to irritate them in this manner. My whole
complaint is that they ignored my very understandable desire to stay
within glide distance, which really shouldn't have been a problem for
them. It was as though I were inconveniencing them by flying the approach
differently, wanting to stay higher until the FAF.

Lately, I get the feeling that the Jackson controllers are overwhelmed. I
flew in tonight, asked for the GPS 16 VFR by my own navigation and was
told "unable" when 20 miles out. What the heck does that mean? Unable to
what? I'm flying the whole thing myself VFR. They don't have to do a
thing.

It could only mean they're unable to provide separation from IFR aircraft
in the outer area. So tell them good day and continue with your plans,
staying outside of Class C airspace.