Old December 23rd 07, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default The FAA is marching toward sole dependence on GPS.

Bob Noel wrote:
In article , Sam Spade
wrote:

Why wouldn't you want a WAAAS capable panel mount in any case, ADS-B
notwithstanding?

VFR-only aircraft do not gain much operational utility from the increased
accuracy of WAAS GPS. Simply put, WAAS enables near CAT I instrument
approaches. Non-WAAS GPS is perfectly capable of being used VFR.

And why ADS-B requires the small accuracy gain of WAAS is a mystery to me.
I wonder why the FAA wants to make a US version of ADS-B instead of using
a common standard.

There is a whole different world of safety and operational access
available with 145/146 panel mounts over 129 boxes.

huh?

I thought we were speaking of IFR operations.

With VFR any non-certified hand-held is plenty good.

With IFR WAAS (145/146) gives you LPV (much greater access, and
increasing all the time), and you get VNAV minimums on VNAV/LNAV IAPs,
and you get safer vertical guidance on LNAV only IAPs. Lots more safety
avoid dive and drive.