Old December 27th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Terence Wilson

Default Seeking advice- checkride tips

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:55:32 -0800, "Hilton"
wrote:

Terence,

This is a general comment and not aimed specifically at you, but... It
amazes me, in terms of human psychology, that pilots fear more for a
checkride than for a real IFR flight. The worst that happens in a checkride
is a pink slip followed by a white slip the following week. But on a real
IFR flight, well that's like playing a video game with one quarter.

The NTSB files are littered with accidents with just one stupid screw up.
If a pilot is making (at least) "one stupid screw-up" per flight, it is
advisable (IMHO) for that pilot to question his/her safety level on a real
IFR flight. GA pilots about to go for the checkride are probably at their
most proficient point of their lives, although obviously not the most
experienced. If a pilot is making a "stupid screw-up" at this point then
what is going to happen when the destination goes below minimums, the winds
aloft pick up and the fuel level starts getting low, passengers start feel
sick, one or more instruments fail... you get the idea.

Don't sweat the checkride, sweat real-life. If you're ready to embark on an
IFR flight safely, then the checkride is no sweat. If not, call your CFI
and smoothen out those edges until you are - this is a continual process,
not just a pre-checkride thing.

OK, enough preaching, fly well on the checkride and verbalize as you do
things (if it helps) and talk through mistakes you make. The odds are that
the DE sees them before they happen.

Hilton

Thanks Hilton. Regarding the "stupid screw-up" comment I made, I had
thought the context would have made it evident that by "stupid" I
didn't mean dangerous or life-threatening, rather stupid in the sense
that it could get me a pink-slip. For example, calling ground before
receiving the ATIS or twisting the OBS before starting the turn or
using a parallel entry when it should have been a teardrop. My CFII is
a very well respected 5500 hour ATP, a little more expensive than the
rest, but well worth it. I don't consider myself to be a very good
student, but he keeps saying I'm ready for the checkride, so go
figure!

And trust me, I do sweat real-life. Everytime time I fly, checkride or
not, I think about everything that could go wrong.