Old January 16th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

Bill writes:

Contrary to the static you are getting, you asking exactly the right
question. Those who don't investigate such things run into stuff.

Safety first.

A great reference to how the procedures are constructed is
Eckalbar "IFR A Structured Approach" chapter 9. It discuses
what "standard" is. How far is it assumed that you climb straight
ahead when departing? It's all covered.

I was hoping it would be in the books I can download for free from the FAA,
but I haven't found much, and I'm at least as confused now as I was when I
asked the question.

For fun, look at the Sand Point ID approach plate. Can you depart
this place safely with a 900' ceiling in your Bonanza? How would you do
it?

I found the airport, but I'm not sure what you mean by ID approach plate.
There are a couple of approaches listed.