Old January 16th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default Obstacle avoidance between take-off and airway

wrote:
This is not my understanding. According to old Wally Roberts, who
once published great IFR articles for the IFR Refresher, the TERPS
guys are required to evaluate departures for every runway for any
airport for which an IAP is published, and if obstacles penetrate the
200:1 plane, then an ODP is required.

Therefore if a pilot follows the 200:1 plane in all cases where there
is an IAP published, and no ODP, he is assured of obstacle clearance
(unless the runway is designated NA). There is no need for published
IFR Takeoff Minimums for this to apply, as I understand it.

This has always been my understanding. If there is a source that
proves this to be incorrect, I would appreciate being so enlightened.

The TERPS guys are indeed required to evaluate every qualified runway

for an IFR airport (an airport with one, or more IAPs).

In some unusual situations a runway, such as a secondary dirt or turf
runway may not be approved by the regional Airports Division. But, this
is unusual.

So, for every qualified runway the evaluation will be made. If the
TERPS folks decide it would require an excessive climb gradient for the
aircraft that typically use the airport they will NA it. If they do not
NA it, then they must provide Part 97 takeoff minimums in order to have
a diverse departure area or an ODP. They go hand in glove. If you find
an exception, let us know.