Old January 25th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_22_]

Default Cessna 152 spin integrity

"JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote in

Ricky wrote:

I also remember being warned "no spin is exactly the same or
predictable, so DON'T do them solo! Was this just a warning from my
school so we wouldn't screw up their gyros or are spins indeed
possibly very dangerous inherently for some reason?

Sounds like the school didn't have a whole lot of confidence in the
spin
training they provided. Assuming you're within the proper weight and
CG envelope, spins should be quite predictable. Particularly in
something like a 152.

A local FBO will only allow spins in their Great Lakes aerobatic
trainers
(they also have Supercubs and Huskies) because the have cageable
gyros. I've often wondered if this isn't an Old Wives Tale. I've
been spinning my Cherokee on a fairly regular basis since 1994. The
gyros often tumble during spins, but that's never caused a maintenance
problem. I've still got the same gyros in the panel that were there
when I bought the plane 14 yrs. ago. They've never been removed for OH
and they're still working fine.

Holy Crap! That's amazing!

It definitely wrecks gyros. The one place I worked that had no non gyro
airplanes had one airplane ( cherokee) for spins and it's gyros barely
showed any interest at all.
I suppose it depends on the quality, but it is defnitely not an old
wives tale.

Bertie