Old January 28th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Serious STOL fun

"Morgans" wrote in
:

It helps if the engine has been raced in some class. The GM 4.3 and
the
Ford 3.8 earned their wings in NASCAR, before they went back to the
V-8's.

Some VW designs are realyl fun though!

Yes, but show me a standard VW head that does not melt down at more
than an honest 50 HP continuous, and I'll change my tune. I don't
think I'll have to buy a new songbook anytime soon! They just can not
get rid of any more waste heat than that.

Mmm.yeah, that sounds about right. I have to say, if I was going for a
Sonex, I think I'd go for a Rotax 912 in it rather than a VW

And breaths there a pilot with a soul so dead as to not turn and look
at a nice model A
poswered Piet?

Yep, they sound and look really unique. They hark back to an earlier
time in history, and that "poppity pop" just can not be duplicated.

They just look so cool.
That engine was actually certified at one point. I think the only
certified airplane with the model A was the Wiley Post. The Model B made
it into the early Funks and the V8 into a at least one certified
aircraft as well.

Bertie