Old January 28th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Serious STOL fun

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote

Yeah, an automotive conversion really doesn;t appeal to me for a lot of
reasons.

Depends on the auto engine, to me. IF all of the other things like the
ignition, fuel system, cooling and prop speed reducer are done right on
the right engine, there are many auto engines that have not been babied in
and airplane and have done quite well, for 2000 hours plus. That's the
gottcha; all of the other stuff on the engine.

It helps if the engine has been raced in some class. The GM 4.3 and the
Ford 3.8 earned their wings in NASCAR, before they went back to the V-8's.

Some VW designs are realyl fun though!

Yes, but show me a standard VW head that does not melt down at more than
an honest 50 HP continuous, and I'll change my tune. I don't think I'll
have to buy a new songbook anytime soon! They just can not get rid of any
more waste heat than that.

The VP-1, KR-1, and a number of others fly quite well on that--and flew well
enough on the earlier and smaller VWs as well.

And breaths there a pilot with a soul so dead as to not turn and look at
a nice model A
poswered Piet?

Yep, they sound and look really unique. They hark back to an earlier time
in history, and that "poppity pop" just can not be duplicated.
--

I have never personally seen nor heard one, but I'm still watching and
listening.

Peter