Old February 14th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default When to replace a prop?

On Feb 13, 7:38*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Our Macauley prop was last overhauled (new blades) in 1991. *It was
re-sealed and checked by a prop shop in 1997.

It has approximately 2400 hours on it. *It's still in spec, doesn't leak,
works fine. * Our A&P owned a prop shop in the 1990s, and is very
knowledgeable about these things -- but even he has no hard & fast rule of
thumb for replacement of a prop. *He's very much a "condition" guy (and it's
apparently in good condition), but I'm getting nervous about the age of this
thing.

When the manufactor gets the FAA to approve an AD requiring you
replace it. Otherwise you can just replace parts (blades, hubs, etc).
Most prop shops believe that the Hartzell thing is just the begining
and that within the next 4 years the FAA will ensure that all props
made before 2000 are out of service. The prop manufactors have been
doing a lot of lobbying and want the pre-2000 props out of service for
liability.

-Robert