Old February 25th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
es330td

Default Anyone familiar with an experimental delta wing in Georgia?

On Feb 20, 6:28*pm, Ernest Christley wrote:
es330td wrote:
This past weekend I was doing my weekly trips around the pattern at
the Covington, GA airfield (9A1.)

While I was there, an experimental was doing some general flying
around, including turning base, and then final as though landing but
simply flew down the runway and never actually touched down. My CFI
didn't know what it was (though he did say he'd seen it at a couple of
airshows) but that it has been around for a while. *The only thing I
know about it is that it is fast for its size (the pilot overtook and
overflew a C172 that was on final and appeared to be flying at almost
twice the C172's speed) and it is most definitely a true delta wing
configuration with a high tail. *I was never close enough to see the
engine but I'm pretty sure it was a piston plane because I don't
remember hearing a turbine that day (though if it was a prop I can't
even tell you which end it was on.)

Sorry I can't provide more details but I am still curious to know more
about the plane.

It was beige, with a couple stripes, wasn't it?

Sounds like Bernie Schaknowski, just outside of Atlanta. *It was built
by his father (Bernie Sr) and has been flying about 25 years. *It is a
tractor design, that will do over 200mph. *Bernie uses a 180Hp Lycoming.

--

http://www.ronpaultimeline.com- Hide quoted text -

I found Bernie's email and we exchanged email. He also sent me a
couple great pictures of it. He's based at D73, Monroe-Walton County,
not too far from my home airport and invited me to come visit
sometime. Thanks for the help.