Old March 8th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.global-warming
Dan[_10_]

Default Global Warming The debbil made me do it

On Mar 7, 6:51 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

, the saddest part is after 130 years they haven't improved much at all.
I love old engines. i've owned a bbunch of real old machines ( including
a coule of 19th century cars) and their efficiency isnt significantly
worse than what;s out there today ( though they were a bit draftier)

Bertie

Very true. The E-185 in the 1947 Bonanza 35 I fly burns about 8 GPH to
fly 130 KIAS at 5000'. The C172E with the 145 HP engine we flew
yesterday burns 6-7 for about 110 KIAS (much draggier airframe, of
course).

About the only thing that's improved in IC is power to weight.

Now if you're talking motorcycles, the improvements in ride, handling,
speed, braking, adhesion -- you name it -- is night and day. The old
bikes are neat, but to get someplace fast -- give me a new bike any
day (and I've had both).

Makes me wish Honda was building airplanes...

(oh wait...)

Dan