Old March 15th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Stalls and Thoughts

wrote:
On Mar 14, 2:40 pm, Deadstick wrote:
I haven't done any instructing recently, but when I did, I taught slow
flight, stall recognition and avoidance AND stall entry & recovery. I
don't think they have be be exclusive of one another.

Plus I think learning to recognize and avoid stalls is probably a
better risk-management strategy given that it can be easily learned
and mastered by pilots of all skill levels. In principle I agree that
ALL pilots should be fully competent at slow airspeeds and at
recovering from stalls, but I would also tend to say that there's a
lot more that we can teach pilots before we set them free to fly on
their own.

I am curious as to the meaning of the phrase "..dragging it in". As
in "...he turned on final, dragging it in".

I knew a pilot at A&M who died in a C182 while "dragging it in". I
assumed at the time that this was slow flight and without further
details could only assume that he inadvertently stalled the plane at
some point.

I also inferred that this phrase could also say "was behind the power
curve".

Any thoughts would be appreciated. (IIRC, he did not spin in).

Richard

The analogy "dragging it in" refers to having the airplane configured
behind the power curve or if you wish, in the area of reverse command,
on final approach....a very dangerous situation.

--
Dudley Henriques