Old March 23rd 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default Terra TPX 720 battery question

TPX720 uses normal AA NiCad batteries, usually available locally...however,
in nearly all cases (years ago, these have been off the market for a very
long time now) we ended up replacing the battery holder at the same time due
to corrosion.....even if the corrosion was invisible and even if you clean
it there always seemed to be a reduced current and eventually no charge....I
doubt you'll find these cases anymore since they were Terra parts.
The TPX was unique in that it was the only one to TX on more than 1 watt as
a handheld but also offered two very excellent qualities no other handheld
could match....it was the only handheld to also serve as a wheel chock and
it was virtually theft proof! I know of no one who would ever want to steal
one )
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

wrote in message
I have an old TPX 720 handheld radio. It was sitting for 20 + years
and the rechargable batteries were shot. They are 1.2 v nicads, 10 of
them. Before I go out and buy more, does anyone know if I can just
put regular aa cells in it to see if it works? The nicads are 12
volts total, and the dry cells would be 15. I don't want to fry the
radio.

Thanks

Kurt