Old March 24th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
C J Campbell[_1_]

Default gun discharge in cockpit.

On 2008-03-24 10:54:38 -0700, "John T" said:

"Steve Foley" wrote in message

Wow!! And the flight crew didn't get sucked out the hole like
Goldfinger?

1. Haha.

2. Think frangible bullets. May not have even been a hole.

The sextant port on the C-130 was bigger than any hole a bullet would
make. I don't think anyone has ever been sucked out of one of those.
Actually, it was just the right size to hold a vacuum cleaner hose, so
if you were at altitude you could vacuum out the cockpit. No one ever
got sucked out the vacuum cleaner hose, either. Come to think of it, no
one gets sucked up into vacuum cleaner hoses on the ground, either.

There was a practical joke you could play on the pilot using the
sextant port, though. You stuck a hard-boiled egg in there. It was a
tight fit. The egg would get sucked out, making a popping noise that
sounded for all the world like a shotgun. Scared the heck out of the
pilot. But USAF, in its infinite wisdom, stopped putting hard-boiled
eggs in the box lunches. I don't know why. :-)

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor