Old April 18th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default The plywood monocoque car guy

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Peter Dohm" wrote

Even if it was "marine plywood", which I think that I may have heard at
some point, I believe that the term "marine" only specifies that the glue
between the plies is not water soluble; so an acceptable grade of plywood
may not be as close as your nearest "Borg".

Marine plywood also has a higher quality standard for the inner plys, with
a higher standard of species allowed in the interior plys allowed, and no
voids allowed, although they are allowed to have plug repairs in the inner
plys, as I recall.

The glue in marine plywood does have to be waterproof, but more
significantly, remain strong while submerged in water for some specified
period of time.

I don't believe that marine would have been specified for the glue
content, most likely. It is probably specified because of the higher
guarantees of strength and consistency.

Any plywood meant for construction that bears an "X" in the name has
waterproof glue, but it will have voids and repairs allowed, varying with
the grade. CDX is a common structural grade of plywood that has plugs on
the C side, and filled repairs on the D side, with the most knots and
defects allowed in commonly obtained grades.

Any plywood the bears a B or A grade will also have waterproof glue,
unless it bears an interior marking in addition.
--
Jim in NC

Thanks for that. I had considered adding "ping Jim Morgan".

Peter