Old April 23rd 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Vaughn Simon

Default Owning in retirement

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
Most retirees are not residents of Florida anyways, they are snowbirds who
keep their legal residency somewhere else.

That is not what I see. I think as many retirees as possible try to pass
themselves off as Florida citizens to avoid taxes. I live in Florida and I see
retirees that only live here a few months out the the year arrive from up north
in cars with Florida license tags. I know for a fact that some of them live
most of the year in large northern cities, but their auto insurance company
thinks they live in Florida (where auto insurance is a lot less). Most have
probably also figured out a way to receive their retirement income in Florida to
avoid their own state income tax. Also, Florida residents get a much better
rate on property taxes than non-residents do.

I don't blame these folks. You can be sure that when I am a retired person
(it won't be long now) my actual residence is likely to be a very nebulous
thing, a thing only for the wife and I to know for sure.

Vaughn