Old April 30th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

Default Venting of Lycoming 0-290 D Engine

On Apr 29, 5:56*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"stol" wrote

*my second concept was
the racing vacuum system used in dragsters, That did work great but I
am now on my third design of the exhaust pipes.

What do dragsters and such use in their pipes for vacuum? *Some type of venture,
or something?
--
Jim in NC

Jim, It is a rather easy device. It acts just like those air nozzles
with a small hose attached at an angle that one can use to spray
solvent on a part to clean it. As the air passes across the side
opening it creates a vacuum. Here is a link to Moroso's kit. The kit
comes with two 3/8" pipes about 3" long, you weld on a bung at about a
45 degree angle to the tailpipe and screw in the pipe. The kit has a
check valve to prevent backfires from entering the valve covers. On my
application I made my own set up, ( imagine that)... I used just one
on the right tailpipe and I had way too much suction so I had to
restrict it. Kinda like the old joke " she could suck a golf ball
through a garden hose".. This was when my motor had 10 hours on it or
so and the rings had not completely seated. I took that version off
because the motor is now so sealed up I have practically no blowby and
saved a couple of lbs... YMMV.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Ben