Old May 18th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default What would you buy with a 50k budget?

.stuff snipped.
What would you
buy if all you had was 50k...?
.other stuff snipped.

Others have chimed in with various options. My reply is a bit more
pessimistic.

$50k ain't gonna do it for a certificated beast. Kitplanes have their
own economics but I am not going there in this analysis.

Sure, you can buy an older tin can for that price, but may not be able
to fly it long. The various expenses will likely cost you enough to
double that figure in several years. Experiences vary, but you could pay
lots in the near future for unseen problems (or ADs). Or, you may pay
that out over 5-7 years IF you get lucky and don't fly a lot.

10GPH X $5.00/gal once a week is $2600 annually. Fly 2 hours a week and
double that. $800-$1200 for insurance. $800-$3000 annually for cheap tie
down on up to basic hangar. Throw in $2k for annual. Another $2k for odd
repairs and you can see how the bill mounts. On the low end, that adds
up to $8200 a year. In 6 years you paid another $50k to operate the
beast. Florida? I would strongly consider weather detection. Add another
$2k one time expense for the Garmin and $360 a year for the subscription.

Many on this group scoff at these prices and boast about how "they did
it cheaper". The ones who could not afford it don't pipe up about how
the expenses swamped them into selling. Sure, IF you have the tools, and
IF you have the hangar to work in, and IF you have the one in a hundred
mechanic that will let you do the work, and IF you have the know how,
and IF you have the time, and IF you can search for cheap parts, and IF
your wrench will let you use them, etc. things can be cheaper. You got
those? Many don't. Most pay "retail" as I estimated above.

So, I say that $50k is a good start. If you have the $8k - $10k in
annual expenses also figured into the budget, you may make it work.

By the way, make sure you have $15k or so lying around just in case the
engine decides to go out to lunch.

Good Luck,
Mike