Old July 11th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Letting it lapse

Wizard of Draws wrote:
I think I've come to the conclusion that I will let my IFR rating lapse. As
it stands, I seem to be flying mostly to keep the rating current, rather
than flying for the enjoyment. I don't really go anywhere, the wife won't
fly with me, and the skyrocketing cost is making me look hard at the ROI
from different angles.

I'm figuring that from now on when I fly, I'm taking my 4 year old grandson.
He's my only enthusiastic co-pilot, and I won't put him in IFR, so why keep
it current? I don't want to get priced out of flying any sooner than I will
be, so this is my way of getting the Little Man in the air with me, and
keeping flying bug alive in him, for the maximum number of hours I have
left.

As I'm sure will be mentioned in other follow-ups the rating doesn't
lapse and you will be able to make it current when ever you need to. How
much practice and time it will take to do that is directly proportional
to how long you go. It's silly to keep it current if you aren't going to
be using it. Kinda like a retired 747 pilot renting a heavy to keep
current when the only thing he flies now is a Skyhawk.