Old August 12th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk,alt.aratzio
Darkwing

Default Bertie - New Aviation Discovery

"Aratzio" wrote in message
In an amazing overstatement of the incredibly obvious, Alaska Airlines
spokeswoman Mariann Lindsey has stated:

"The state of Alaska has many active volcanoes, we try to avoid them
because they affect airplane engines"

Yes, folks, large pieces of rock firmly (and not so firmly) attached
to earth are considered a bad thing for an airplane engine.

No word was given on how passengers or the rest of the aircraft are
affected by volcanoes.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2008/0...markets22.html

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6gp4zy

There was an episode of "Seconds to Disaster" (if I recall correctly) that
had the story of a jet flying through volcanic ash, the plane glowed a weird
color with St Elmo's Fire, the engines shot flames out and eventually quit,
the wind screen became opaque, it was a helluva story. They finally got out
of it and landed safely, the engines refired after they got out of the plume
and the windscreen had a really small area the pilot could still see out of
to land from! The flight was from Italy or Greece or something, I have
forgotten where.