Old December 15th 03, 07:59 PM
Andrew Chaplin

"Jack" wrote in message
news

"IBM" wrote in message

Which is kind of ironic seeing as how one of the more important
commanders of the Israeli war for independence was in fact a
Canadian.

Oh ?? Thats interesting...who was it ??

Ben Dunkelman, late of the Queen's Own Rifles, in which he was a company
commander from Juno Beach to the Low Countries, and who left Canada after
being de-mobbed to serve as a formation commander in the Israeli army.
Unlike many others who went to Israel to support the Zionists (and I use
the term as Dunkelman would have) he had operational experience in what
we would now call combat team and battle broup operations. He only died
about two years ago. While he was prepared to fight for Israel, he
preferred to live in Canada, and was a Colonel of the Regiment for the
QOR for a term. He was a haberdasher by trade, and the family firm, Tip
Top Tailors, was the equivalent in Canada of Brooks Brothers or Moss
Bros.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO