Old September 12th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default navion questions (ping Ron Natalie)

Hi Ron (and other Navion owners),
I presently own a Grumman Traveler, I'm kinda mulling over purchasing
a retract and the first plane that springs to mind is a Navion since
it also has a sliding canopy. I'm wondering if you could answer some
questions about the plane. I keep my plane at my house, I have a 1700
ft grass airstrip, no obstacles to speak of save a 3 ft tall barbed
wire fence at the S end of the field. The field elevation is about
1400' asl so summer density altitude can sometimes get up to 3000'.
Would a E185 bird be able to get out of here ok with 2 people and 1/2
fuel? I have a climb prop and tuned exhaust on the Traveler and
usually limit myself to 1 passenger and 1/2 fuel unless it's a cool
day. What's the parts situation like for a Navion? Can you keep the
canopy open in-flight? Before you did the re-engine what did your
annuals usually run costwise? I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and
assist in the process. Think anyone would be kooky enough to want to
trade for a Traveler? I know it's a buyers market (there's an
understatement).

Thanks,
David Gilley